Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Comedy Writing

Having a sense of humor is a very important trait to have because it makes you really fun to be around because you can joke back to someone when they are joking about you.  I also think it's good because you can make people laugh a lot and that makes you really fun and likable.  Having a good sense of humor also makes you a happier and more positive person. When you have a sense of humor it allows you to understand when someone is joking around with you vs. when someone is purposefully teasing you, this will make it so your not overly sensitive when someone is joking with you.

If you decide to be crazy and attempt at writing a humorous narrative here's a few things you should know before you venture off into the unknown! The first is write about something you can relate to, like for example one of my jokes is about school dances, I know about school dances because I've been to a lot of them before. The second tip I have is use your own voice, if you are sarcastic write a sarcastic joke, if you aren't sarcastic write about something else. The third tip I have is to make sure you find your joke funny before you decide to present it in front of an audience. The reason for this is because if you don't find it funny, others may not. Also, if you don't find your joke funny then you won't be able to deliver it properly, if you don't deliver it properly it more than likely won't be very funny.  My fourth tip for you is that you should make sure to be descriptive but not too much that it causes the audience to get bored and stop listening.  I suggest throwing jokes everywhere throughout the story.  For example "I had this really bad day once why don't I tell you about it... Why did the chicken cross the road? So about this really bad day...." Doing something like that will cause the reader or audience to laugh more.  I'm just kidding don't put a joke in the middle of a sentence, but you get the idea of it. My fifth and final suggestion for you is that you have the biggest joke, with the biggest laugh at the very end, that way you can lead up to it the whole story.

I have two comedic monologues, the first one is "When I was little I watched a lot of Disney channel movies and every single one of them made school dances look absolutely amazing, but now that I’m in eighth grade they’re really not all they were cut out to be, it’s really just people sitting around eating and listening to music. Like isn’t that what you all do at home? Why would you leave the comfort of your home to sit on uncomfortable bleachers?" This joke would only be funny to people my age because the generation before us did dance at school dances, but my generation doesn't.  This joke is funny because it's one of those "that is so true," jokes.  My second joke also only appeals to teenagers. "My mom always used to tell me teenagers think they know everything, but they really don’t. Now that I am a teenager I realized she was wrong, I do know everything," this is funny because it's proving that what my mom said is right.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. However, a lot of humour doesn't come from "jokes" at all.

    Myself, I never really makes "jokes" but people still find me funny as I am a more of an in the moment wit kind of person. Some people find certain things funny that others wouldn't regardless of what the actual thing is said. Some would find something funny that they might not find funny at another time.

    ReplyDelete